Thursday, July 22, 2010

Low Sugar Mulberry Jam

I was asked for a recipe for low sugar mulberry jam. Since I didn't have such a recipe. I decided to do some experimenting. Actually all I did was buy a box of no sugar needed Sure-Jell and followed the instructions for low sugar raspberry jam, but replaced the raspberries with mulberries.



It set just fine and tasted great. May be I should use low sugar pectin more often.

5 cups crushed mulberries
4 cups sugar (divided)
1 package low sugar powdered pectin

Mix 1/4 cup of the sugar with the powdered pectin. Stir the pectin/sugar mix into the berries. Bring to rolling boil over high heat. Add remaining sugar, return to boil, and boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam, if necessary. Fill hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Add lids and process 10 minutes in a water bath.

High altitude instructions
1,001 - 3,000 feet : increase processing time by 5 minutes
3,001 - 6,000 feet : increase processing time by 10 minutes
6,001 - 8,000 feet : increase processing time by 15 minutes
8,001 - 10,000 feet : increase processing time by 20 minutes

13 comments:

  1. I have used low sugar Sure Jel for years to make jams and jellies. It always turns out perfectly and my family and friends appreciate that I use less sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much also like using the reduced sugar pectins. Jams made with them just taste more like the fruit and less like fruit flavored sugar!

    It happened by accident in our house. Simply got the wrong box one day, then decided to use it anyway to make a treat for a diabetic family member.

    The taste was soooo good that we now use it almost exclusively for jams.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful discovery. Will surely keep this in mind as the sugar content in so many recipes is alarm to me, smiles. Doesn't stop me from enjoying them though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good recipes on here! I'm hosting Canning Week on my blog next week and I'd love for you to join in!

    jen @ messhalltobistro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog site. So many great canning recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Keep it up the good work and also keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Florida Gator sports blog that covers every game, roster, exclusive
    player interviews, and much more. It is your source for Florida Gator
    news. Come check out the forum and discuss Heisman trophy winner Tim
    Tebow and the rest of the Gators.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very useful post indeed!! And yeah it has come from the horse's mouth...can see apart from talent of course unconditional involvement,immense passion and perseverance has made you what you are today..



    Cccam Server
    Cardsharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. It gave me great quinces, and the recipe that I am not happy, I am very grabs! thank you in advance
    I board a good recipe already dealt a site like this
    recette couscous

    Couscous recipe
    Tajine Marocain
    Recette cookies
    Recette crepe
    gateau au yaourt
    Recette moelleux au chocolat
    Dessert rapide
    Recette tiramisu

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin